
We continued our trek down the Mall towards the Lincoln Memorial. I'm pretty sure it was the longest walk ever. You know, an entire BLOCK or so but they way my boys were whining we might as well have walked all the way from D.C. to Illinois. "It's hot." "I'm tired." "I need a drink." "I have to go potty." "No you may not swim in the Reflecting Pool." "Yes, we are almost there." Get the picture? It was fun. I was never so glad to climb 5,000 stairs and see a gigantic statue in my entire life.

The boys are fascinated with Abraham Lincoln. We went to his museum (or the museum ABOUT him) back in November and the boys STILL talk about it and all they learned. So, seeing this statue was pretty cool. Ok, that and the fact that, once again, they wanted him to come to life like in the movie. Hollywood magic just ruins everything.

After the Lincoln Memorial, we walked over the Vietnam Memorial.

This is where things sort of, kind of went awry. And I'll admit it. It was my fault.
Johnny wanted
to go to Arlington, which was fine, but we weren't really prepared for that detour. And I am a planner. So, I got all flustered and couldn't decide how to get there and what Metro we should take and on and on. We decided to head north, walk past the White House and get on the train there. Which is what we did (and stopped for some pictures). But, I am SUCH a dork. For the same distance that we walked to the Metro station, we could have just walked past the Lincoln Memorial and made it to the cemetary without ever getting on the train. Did that make any sense? But that's alright. It was worth it just to make it to Arlington.
What a beautiful place! Granted, the boys were exhausted and pretty whiny at this point so the walk to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was pretty miserable BUT once we got there and saw this:


No comments:
Post a Comment