Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Little Roadside Adventure

The hulk blew a tire.  I wish I could tell you this was a new experience but...it's not.  

 This is the THIRD tire we've replaced in as many weeks.

 At least we know how to have some fun around here!  Noah and I dropped off the three middle boys at karate and ran to the Blessed Bullseye store (you know which one I'm talking about).  We were running about 5 minutes behind to pick them up after class.  If you know me, you know I was freaking out because I HATE BEING LATE.  We got off the exit, started to pick up speed (I wasn't speeding) and KACHOW, the tire blew.  Have you ever had that happen while driving a beast of a vehicle?  It's not awesome.  At. all.
This is an after picture.
 In fact, I believe Noah might have wet his pants a little.  Of course, I would never to that....

So, here we are on the side of a rather busy highway, with the van leaning to the right, on the tire that blew, right past a curve.

Yup.  I felt REAL safe.

Therefore, I called my husband in a panic.  It's what I do.
Another after...I was bored.
 He called a towing service for me and we waited.

I thought that the spare tire was stored in the back of the van, so Noah and I quickly cleaned out the spot where we "thought" it was stored.

It wasn't.

Did you know that there is a special tool you need to remove the spare tire from it's storage location?

Me neither.

Did I mention it was over 100*?

Um...it was.
  
Here is the hulk in all her glory with the new "spare" tire installed by the boys' karate instructor's brother.  Yes, we live in a small world.   See the pretty colors?  That's dirt.  Nice, eh?

Ugh...sweaty mess with foggy glasses.
Noah and I hung out in the bean field while we waited.  I've seen enough episodes of ER and Grey's to know that waiting in the vehicle only leads to trouble.  Thanks Meredith and Dr. Greene.

And thus our roadside adventure was complete, once I paid our knight in shining tow truck.

Lesson learned today?  Never worry about being 5 minutes late....an hour late is much worse.

No comments: