When I started shadowing different doctors I had NO idea how useful it was going to be for me in the future. I mean, besides my wanting to BE a doctor and and all....just....who knew it would be useful in caring for a preemie.
One of the surgeries I was able to observe was an inguinal hernia repair.
It was, well, NOT on a preemie. I'll spare you the details.
So, when KJ's nurse called me on Wednesday to tell me that his discharge might be delayed because he might need surgery to repair the hernia I was at least somewhat knowledgeable on the subject.
I also knew that there was NO way the microchip could handle another intubation. His little airway was still pretty wimpy after his last "event" (as the doctors refer to his 3 week illness). This is where my situation stinks right now. I have absolutely no authority over this little boy. I can't say no to the docs, I can't say yes to the docs. I can't sign permission forms. In fact, I'm pretty blessed to even get to be at the hospital to see him. I can pray though...and I can most certainly make my opinion known!
Gratefully, the surgeons decided to wait at least 2 weeks to repair the hernia. So, he gets to come home and then go back for surgery. Phew!
Every day they tell me he will come home in a couple of days. I'm hoping those couple of days are before he turns 16...but whatever, right?
That's what I keep telling the nurses (and God), whatever it takes. You tell me what he needs and I'll do whatever it takes to get it done.
No comments:
Post a Comment