Monday, April 4, 2011

Headbangin' Fool and Today's Other Adventures

Well, we all made it through the day relatively unscathed. Granted, there are still 63 minutes left of this Monday but I'm going to go ahead and call it a win. I think.

I dragged myself back to class today. It was no easy task. Half of my heart is some 60 miles away right now but, I had an exam today and I needed to catch up on my other courses so I went. Good thing, too, because there was a big ol' 100 point quiz in my stats class today. Yikes.

I probably called to check on the lad 4 times today. No news with each call, which is good. Nothing is getting worse. Nothing is really getting better, either. I'll take it.

Soccer was cancelled tonight due to nasty, muddy fields (my boys were so disappointed, they LOVE mud!) so instead, I grabbed my first born and took off to the hospital. I mean, come on, it's been 24 hours since I've seen the mini-chocolate chip.

N-ben and I had a blast. We stopped for milkshakes (don't tell his brothers) and just talked the whole way there. I don't know how many of you are parents to boys, but I've learned pretty quick that if a boy actually wants to talk, you stop to listen. And talk he did.

At the hospital, we saw our sweet little man all bundled up and just chillin'. Still on the vent, but his pressures are being lowered on a regular basis and his blood gases have been improving. They are talking about removing his vent tomorrow but, we'll see. He really can't go through the trauma of having it replaced AGAIN if he can't hold his own. Or maybe that's me who can't go through the trauma...I'm confused.

The nice part? KJ could actually open his eyes tonight. I started talking to him, and then sang a little to him, and he struggled and struggled and then finally I saw those beautiful brown eyes. He just stared at me while I sang to him. Then N-ben came over and sang with me. Bliss.

We stayed for a few hours with KJ then headed back home. For future reference: 1 twelve year old + 2 cups of hot chocolate + one can of soda = HOLY MOLY talkative. And I soaked it all up. Until about 10 miles out when I couldn't take anymore and I turned on our favorite head banging band, pulled out my pony tail holder and got some major whiplash with my 12 year old.

Yup, I call this day a win.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

When I got to the part about Noah joining you in singing to little man, I might have teared up a little. Love you guys!