Saturday, April 2, 2011

Good-ish news!

No 4 am phone calls!!! The doctor told me to go home last night and promised me that no one would try any procedures over night. They were just going to let him rest.

I'm sorry for not updating last night. I was just spent, emotionally and physically. I left around 6:30, stopped for some groceries (ok, I stopped for the ingredients for root beer floats), got home, put on a movie with the family and promptly fell asleep on the couch. Oops.

As for the rest of yesterday...KJ was able to rest most of the day. He has a bunch of secretions that keep clogging up his vent (and his nose) so he gets suctioned quite often. As long as he is suctioned frequently, he doesn't have any apneic episodes (go figure! Unclog the drain and it works!). He has a drain put in his tummy to get out more yucky secretions. The good news is...they went from being electric green in color yesterday morning to a more pale yellow (think sinus infection snot color to stomach bile....I know...ew!)

His echo cardiogram showed that the PDA in his heart (patent ductus arteriosus) is slightly larger. It went from "tiny" to "small" but they are not concerned. Good news! (for those of you who don't know, all babies have a duct in their heart that closes when they take their first breath. Preemies' ducts don't always close. That's just the brief summary. You can borrow my A & P book of you want to know more)

His doctors are confident that he will recover from this. How long it will take is unclear and what the long term affects will be are unknown.

I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life.

The beauty in this situation is how my friends and church family have surrounded us through all this. The prayers, the random baked goods delivered to my house, the people who've stopped by the hospital, a friend who watched the kids after school for me, the friend who brought us dinner, a new friend who works at the hospital we are at and has taken so much time with me....amazing.

Not to mention the text I got last night that an entire group of women at a conference last night prayed my our sweet chocolate chip.

Amazing.

I just called in for an update and he is still holding his own. I gotta get some stuff done around the house this morning, not to mention maybe get some food for the other crew at home

So.....thank you for your prayers! Keep them flowing.

1 comment:

Sally B said...

Those women at the conference have been convicted and convinced that God is in charge around here. That includes in KJ and your lives! Almost 100 women prayed for your baby. Most of them will remember to do so for a long time.