Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tipping the scales

The update:

Little man, you are officially 6 weeks, 5 days old.

At the hospital they call you 31 weeks, 5/7ths
You weigh 3lbs 6.9 ounces. They count every ounce. Every teeny tiny ounce.
You are on 1/2 L of oxygen at 21% (which means room air and very little flow!)
You get to take caffeine every day. Your dose is equivalent to 20 cups of coffee.
You also have sodium every day. That's it, though. Not much on the medication side. I like it.

You are tiny. And mighty.

I got to give you your bath yesterday. And they are "letting" me change your diapers. After smelling your diapers, I don't think it is a "letting" me situation...I think they just don't want to smell that stank!

When you get to 32 weeks (Tuesday) they might let you start wearing clothes like the little outfit above. Notice the size of the soda can in respect to your outfit? Yeah....they tell me you'll grow into that shirt. I had to laugh....

At 32 weeks you might get to start drinking out of a bottle for one feed a day. Then maybe more a few days later. Seeing as it takes you 2 hours to drink 1 tbsp...well...I don't think you will be in too big of a rush to get to the bottle thing.

They also said you could come home in as little as 4 weeks from now.

But here's the deal, little man. You've got to be able to drink out of bottle to go home. That, and be able to hold your own temperature and, you know, remember to breathe.

So, whenever you are ready, let us know. You have a whole slew of siblings waiting to love on you. We are trying to be patient because we know you've got quite the battle ahead of you. Besides, we don't have ANYTHING ready for you here. How do you feel about sleeping in a laundry basket? Just kidding, just kidding....

Keep growing, baby!

No comments: