Sunday, May 9, 2010

I feel like I should explain..

A lot of you area asking when you will get to see the babies and about certain events, like taking them to church. You are asking if you can hold them and so on....

I just want to take a minute and explain here:

Right now is a crucial time in these guy's lives. They have left the only home they have ever known and were placed in this strange place with people they've never seen. Whose skin looks nothing like theirs. This is traumatic for them. This is HUGE for them. Sure, they are only 9 months old and won't likely remember this part of their lives but it does affect them.

So our job right now is to bond with these babies. We didn't get the chance to bond in utero. We missed out on the first 9 months of their lives. We have a lot of ground to make up.

We need them to know that they are OUR babies. That they can trust us, that we will be the ones to provide for their every need. They need to learn who their brothers are...who their grammies and papas are...who they can run to for comfort and safety.

So, we can not let you hold them yet. We can't let you feed them or change their diapers (not that you would want to, right?). We would appreciate if you wouldn't come so close to their faces with your faces. (I wasn't sure how to word that sentence, I mean really, "Dudes, get your face out of here" wouldn't really work. HA!)

We also will avoid big crowds as much as possible. Can you imagine how overwhelming it will be for them? Hello, strangers! And you have to remember, the first time they really saw a stranger was when that stranger took them from their foster home....

And finally, we won't be sharing a lot of details about their beginnings. We feel that it is their story to share. It's kind of obvious that they are adopted and that they started out in foster care. The rest is our secret to keep. If I shared with you earlier, please keep EVERY thing in confidence for their sake. I'm sort of learning on the fly here and I am bound to make mistakes!

Please know that we WANT you to love our babies. And we know that you do. We just have to be advocates for our babies right now, do what is best for them.

Phew, that wasn't so bad, now was it? I hope I didn't come across as a big meanie.

No comments: