Well, isn't that a fun question? I spent the last 3 days with my Grandpa in the hospital. His routine heart procedure went a little nuts. The hospital was crazy full. His procedure was 2 hours behind schedule. His recovery took a really long time and it included some "technicolor yawning" (which I can NOT handle) so that was a little rough. We finally got him into a room around 10:00 Tuesday night. Needless to say, I had a LOT of free time on my hands and a very ornery sister to hang around with. We had some fun.
The very first waiting room we waited in (hence the name, I suppose) was super crowded. And we waited a very long time. Mel and I were sitting next to each other just talking when I spotted something unusual out of the corner of my eye. I slowly turn to look, and lo and behold, it is a woman pulling a full size harp behind her. In the waiting room. In a hospital. In the Prairie Heart Institute. I hear Mel say "what?" and that was it, we lost it. The corny jokes and puns just went flying, things like "we didn't know we were that close to the pearly gates" or calling the place the "Prairie Harp Institute." We got a lot of evil glares from the serious patients around us. And a few odd looks from our Mom, too.
St. John's is a rather larger and ridiculously laid out hospital. My sister and I discovered this because we walked up and down every single floor (except 1) looking for very important things, like good magazines, the best vending machines, clean bathrooms and so on. We also got lost trying to find the cafeteria. And the coffee shop. And something else but I can't remember.
We raided all the waiting rooms and found 5 relatively new magazines and the cheapest peanut M & M's we could find (if you consider $1 cheap). And the floor that we didn't go on? That has the coffee shop. OH! I remembered, we were looking for the gift shop. That's next to the coffee shop. :)
Anyway, I am so tired, that none of this is really making sense. That's what happens when you spend 3 days in the twilight zone, also known as hospital time. Grandpa was released today and will be on oxygen forever in addition to daily breathing treatments and 2 more inhalers a day. I also get to schedule (and take him to) 4 more doctors and cardiac rehab. For now, though, he is with my Mom in Chi-town for the next 11 days so I have a small break. And I am going to bed.
BTW, I am totally going to go to med school. Just thought I'd let you know this. Hopefully I can get over the vomit phobia....and the blood issues....
No comments:
Post a Comment