This may just be the most boring post ever. However, I've had many people ask me what I teach the boys, what curriculum I use, how I split up my time teaching 3 of them, etc. I thought I'd enlighten the masses.
For Justin: Our main focus with J-man is to learn to read. We are actually using "Hooked on Phonics" (I feel a joke coming on here...) and it is working quite well! We also use Saxon Math. Justin will join his brothers for science, history, language arts and Spanish. I'm not sure what he will glean from it but, I want him to be involved.
Noah & Ethan: (4th and 2nd grade, respectively)
Bible: Answers in Genesis: Answers for Kids, Beginnings: Helping Kids Build a Firm Foundation to their Faith (this is the WHOLE reason I'm homeschooling!) I am eagerly anticipating watching the Dinosaur DVD.
Reading: BJU Press
Language Arts: Shurley English
Math: Saxon
History: Hodge Podge. (no that is not a real curriculum). We are studying the electoral process and such.
Science: Apologia "Animal's of the 5th Day". It's a zoology course. Totally cool.
Spanish: Switched on Schoolhouse
Health: God's Design for Sex (Heaven help me...)
Piano: Mrs. Harris :)
I know it's just a weird mix, but this style works for my boys. I bought all the subjects from one company last year and they were so bored it wasn't even worth it.
We will use Saxon math for elementary school only. I love it for this age group because "It lays an incredible foundation in grammar school. Saxon Math teaches "with the grain" of grammar school students. It has lots of repetition and requires the children to memorize their math facts."
However, once they get older, I think that Saxon still teaches them like they are still in elementary school and that's just not good.
I'm really excited about our Spanish curriculum! It's an interactive CD-ROM course. Very exciting.
The grammar/LA is pretty interesting. I hear that it is the best for teaching grammar rules, which are set to catchy little jingles. My boys can learn anything set to music so...here goes!
Now for health...ugh...this series is 4 books that discuss sex in an age appropriate manner. Maybe Johnny can guest teach that day! I am so kidding. I want the boys to feel comfortable talking about all this with me.
So, that's what the boys will (hopefully) be learning this year. I'll share our schedule with you next, but you might want to take a deep breath before you read it.
No comments:
Post a Comment