It's amazing how something so simple can really turn your entire week upside down. My dear sweet Elijah had his surgery on Monday. The surgery itself went really well and I am always amazed at the excellent care the nurses and doctors give their patients at this hospital. Monday night, Elijah was feeling fine. You could tell he was uncomfortable but nothing major. He slept from about 7:30pm to 1:00am and then was up until 6:00. I never thought I would watch Thomas The Tank Engine at 4 in the morning, but I did. It is actually more entertaining in a state of total exhaustion. Anyway, Elijah was fine all day Tuesday until he woke up from his 3 hour nap. He then proceeded to throw up non-stop for 5
hours. 5 very long hours. I called the ENT resident and he said it sounded like the flu and should treat it as such. I called the ER and they said it sounded like surgery complications and should treat it as such by coming in and letting them check him out. I am so glad I did. Elijah was super dehydrated and listless at this point (this was only 2 hours into the non-stop retching) and I was a nervous wreck. I don't deal well
with blood or other body fluids, as you might remember from previous posts. And I certainly don't deal well with white as a ghost 2 year olds! The doctor called for an IV, which took 3 very strong men to put in, and x-rays. Poor Elijah, he was just screaming for me, "ow, ow, ow, MAMA, tell 'dem to stop RIGHT NOW! ow, ow ow!" And I'm cowering in the corner, trying not to cry and barf, either one would've been humiliating. Around 9:30, the ER doc deems him hydrated enough and gives him some anti-nausea meds and sends us on our merry way, with strict instructions to return if any more "fluids" come back up. We go home, Elijah goes to bed. And wakes up at 1:00am, again, second night in a row. He crawls into bed with me and we at least pretend to sleep until he pees all over me. At least I knew he was hydrated at this point!
Wednesday we got the results of his x-rays. He has pneumonia. So, that's that. This simple little procedure has now turned into a week of doctor's visits and ER trips, x-rays and antibiotics. I know it will be worth it, really! His adenoids were blocking 80% of his passageway, so it was necessary. Just turned our lives a little upside down. As for the pictures...I just liked them. He is so cute! And they show his rotten streak. That's chocolate milk in his champagne glass. He locked the dog out of her own house in the next one and those are his first steps! So sweet. And he is still addicted to balloons. Miss Brittany brought some get well balloons by yesterday and Elijah won't let them out of his sight!
I do believe Elijah is on the mend because he is quite bossy today. That is a true sign of health.
1 comment:
Holy yikes.
Post a Comment