Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I *heart* Tobymac!


I fell in love with DC Talk, oh, around 7th grade. I remember dancing through the house singing "Heavenbound" and all the other old school "white rap" songs. I mean, really, I was good! I went to their first concert all by myself in 8th grade. They co-headlined with Newsboys. Now that was back in the day! I totally convinced myself that Toby McKeehon and I were going to get married, despite the age difference (which by today's standards really isn't all that much, a mere 10 years doesn't seem like so much now that I'm 30) I never missed a concert if they were nearby and to this day I probably have every song ever done by DC Talk and Tobymac memorized. It's sad, I know.

Speaking of sad, that's me as a freshman in
college. Seriously, why didn't anyone say anything to me about those eyebrows???


The point of this blog is to tell you that Friday night, I took my oldest son, Noah, to his first Tobymac concert. Oh my, what a night! I'm pretty sure that I had more fun than Noah. I haven't been to an eardrum bursting concert in ages. Johnny said the last one he went to was when I was in Mustard Seed...but that's a whole 'nother story. I'm now trying to decided if I have enough soul to oust Toby's chick singer....in the meantime I'm going to work on my hip-hop moves, when no one is watching, of course.

I have to admit, I totally stalked the tour busses at the end of the night, so "noah could get a picture with Toby" of course! We almost succeeded! I did get this picture of the band. Toby is in the back seat of the van, with his son. Noah bounced to our van shouting "I can't believe I stood in the same van as Tobymac!" Priceless.
Noah's comments on the concert included: "Those Barlowgirls sure preached alot." "Mom, you really played in a band like that?" "Tobymac is awesome!" "It's really loud, I can't hear!"
My comments included: "wow, Toby's eyeliner is running..." "I love him! I mean, I love the music!" "Noah, I was totally going to marry Tobymac, but that was before I met your dad, so don't worry."
I just can't really organize my thoughts here....I remember tearing up when the music started because I was just so excited to be there with my son. I remember my heart leaping as Noah tried to raise his hands in worship (and still cover his ears). I remember just being so excited to dance and sing "and wave my hands like I just don't care." It was just totally awesome. I love Tobymac. Sorry, Johnny.

No comments: